1. You all know by now I’m a huge fan of the Westman Atelier line of beauty products. So when the opportunity arose to meet founder, Gucci Westman, and have a personal one-on-one consult with her, I jumped. Unsurprisingly, with her eye for color and restraint plus skilled application, this was the only time I’ve had my makeup done and still looked like me. I’ve never been so all-in with one beauty line, but this one’s a keeper.
2. Updated classics are always a win and for me this season it’s all about the trench. In case you missed this week’s post of current favorites, the silhouettes with subtly tweaked details are the most interesting to me now. Plus, in California, it’s hard to get excited about heavy coats, so a trench has significant appeal.
3. Have you seen Green Book? Somehow, it wasn’t on my radar and I’d heard little about it. After seeing the film this week, it’s now one of my favorites and I understand why it’s nominated for best picture. Based on a true story, it follows the evolving relationship between African-American classical pianist Don Shirley and his driver Tony Lip, a working-class Italian-American bouncer, on tour through the 1960s American South. Both Mahershala Ali as Shirley and Viggo Mortensen as Lip give stellar performances.
4. Kerry Joyce teamed with ceramist Heather Rosenman to a create a collection of fabrics under his textile line Joyce. The collaboration, The Archetype Collection, comprises six designs in eight color ways on a Belgian linen. It reflects the symbolic pattern and rough texture of Rosenman’s work and has a timeless appeal to my eye. Available to the trade at Kneedler Fauchere.
5. I’ve spent way more time than usual driving back and forth to LA lately and the only thing that’s kept me sane in the traffic are podcasts. The Dropout series on Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes is engrossing and highly entertaining. I’m obsessed with this crazy story on the rise and fall of Theranos and how far the company was able to go among mounds of deceipt. It’s a must listen. And on HBO, there’s an upcoming documentary, The Inventor: Out For Blood in Silicon Valley which furthers the Theranos/Holmes story. (photo: The Dropout)
6. Thoughts on bike shorts? They’re one of the strongest looks for SS19 with Chanel, Fendi, Roberto Cavalli, and Stella McCartney, among other top designers setting the trend. Teamed with a sharp blazer is the only way I see it, but even then, its tricky. Are you on board or letting this look pass?
7. New on my decor book shopping list is Paradise Found: Exceptional Homes in Extraordinary Places from Beta-Plus Publishing. (On a side note, everything from Beta-Plus Publishing is top-notch and I wish I had a library full of every one of their design publications.) Paradise Found features twelve homes from a simple cottage on a remote island to a luxurious home set in a spectacular landscape. Each is a dreamy escape to some of the most beautiful destinations in the world. Available for preorder.
8. I’m always on the lookout for chic little hostess gifts, and love the set of lucky charm-themed cocktail napkins (top) from Tory Burch. Along with her colorful dinnerware collection, (below), they put me in a spring mood.